Septic Tank Risers
Septic Tank Riser Mandate – Adopted to be effective August 16, 2012 – 37 TexReg 6055
SUB-CHAPTER D PLANNING, CONSTRUCTION, AND INSTALLATION STANDARDS FOR OSSFS
RULE §285.38 Prevention of Unauthorized Access to On-Site Sewage Facilities (OSSFs)
(b) All tanks must have inspection or clean out ports located on the tank top over all inlet and outlet devices. Each inspection or clean out port must be offset to allow for pumping of the tank. The ports may be configured in any manner as long as the smallest dimension of the opening is at least 12 inches, and is large enough to provide for maintenance and equipment removal.
(c) With the exception of septic tanks, all inspection and clean out ports shall have risers over the port openings which extend to the ground surface. A secondary plug, cap, or other suitable restraint system shall be provided below the riser cap to prevent tank entry if the cap is unknowingly damaged or removed.
(d) All septic tanks buried more than 12 inches below the ground shall have risers over the port openings. The risers shall extend from the tank surface to no more than six inches below the ground. A secondary plug, cap, or other suitable restraint system shall be provided below the riser cap to prevent tank entry if the cap is unknowingly damaged or removed.
(1) The risers shall have inside diameters which are equal to or larger than the inspection or clean out ports.
(2) Risers must be permanently fastened to the tank lid or cast into the tank. The connection between the riser and the tank lid must be watertight.
(3) Risers must be fitted with removable watertight caps and protected against unauthorized intrusions. Acceptable protective measures include:
(A) a padlock;
(B) a cover that can be removed with tools (Screw Driver);
(C) a cover having a minimum net weight of 29.5 kilograms (65 pounds) set into a recess of the tank lid; or
(D) any other means approved by the executive director.
(4) Risers and riser caps exposed to sunlight must have ultraviolet light protection.
(5) Risers must be able to withstand the pressures created by the surrounding soil.
(f) Installation of a riser to any component of a new OSSF is considered construction under this chapter and must be performed by a licensed installer.
(g) Installation of risers for OSSF components installed on or after September 1, 2012, are considered an emergency repair as described in §285.35 of this title (relating to Emergency Repairs) and may be performed by either a licensed Installer, licensed maintenance provider, or registered maintenance technician.
(h) Any person who accesses any secured lid(s) or cover(s) on an OSSF shall secure the lid(s) or cover(s) when access is complete.
(i) All inspection reports sent to Authorized Agents, Regional Offices, and homeowners must document that the access to the OSSF inspection and clean out ports was secured after the maintenance or inspection activities were completed or that the OSSF system owner refused to pay for repairs that were needed to secure the OSSF inspection and clean out ports.
Septic Tank Pumping
Why Choose A+ Septic?
- Our office staff is extremely knowledgeable, experienced and helpful.
- We can answer your in depth questions anytime you need them. Just ask.
- We believe customers deserve the very best service for their money, so that is what we provide.
- The technicians we employ are some of the top trained technicians in the Central Texas Area.
- We utilize up to date and modern equipment.
What Our Customers Say
These Guys Are Great!
These guys are great! Darrell and Kelly got us taken care of on a septic repair. Excellent quality and customer service. Extremely knowledgeable and gave me a few pointers that will save me money down the line! Definitely recommend these guys!
I highly recommend A+ Septic. I had septic issues and I called and they were quick to schedule, and their prices were affordable, (less than other Septic companies) the tech was very friendly and professional and above and beyond respectful of my property. I will always call A+ for any future issues with my septic.
This is the best company in this area. Called other places to come out, but they all said it would be a week or more. I called, and they had someone come that day and fixed it. Everyone was so nice and friendly.
We are ready to serve your septic needs
24/7 Trusted Septic Service